April 13, 2009

No jobs, no luck, guess we're all *******

As graduation is pending and I am faced with the reality of having to attain some kind of career in the next few months...my mother said to me today that she was nervous I would have a hard time finding a job anywhere. Thanks to the grossly regime of our new president and all of his stimulus plans (whatever) Americans are scraping for jobs that pay minimum wage. If you keep up with the news like I try to do you would discover that more and more Americans are being laid off, even those who have their masters degree and thougtht their jobs were stable. I recently found out that an old neighbor of mine, 26, who has his masters in business and such (very smart and driven guy) was just laid off because the company he was working for closed down his branch in New Orleans because the company (will remain nameless) is facing bankruptcy. All I can say is he is actually one of the lucky ones to get laid off, his parents are going to help him out for a while and he does not have a family to support, like many many others do that have recently lost their jobs. I heard recently on the news that hundreds of nursing students are being rejected from schools because, even though the need for nurses in this country is high, hospitals and such find it financially easier to hire nurses from outside of the U.S that will work for cheap. Wow. So pretty much if your American and you have a high level of education your screwed in the job market because companies cannot afford you!! I guess some of us have a better chance at getting a job at McDonald's (where I heard they pay up to $10/hr) than joining the white collar work force. All of this mess has just got me, like many others, very worried about my future...so what now...I guess I'm better off finding a job in another country, at least I know I won't have the risk of suddenly being laid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment