April 8, 2009

Fat Cat


Let me start off by saying Trouble was orphaned at about 1 month old where my mother found him in a ditch in our neighborhood. He was the CUTEST lil thing you had ever seen, a small grey furball with then, blue eyes (they're green now). I couldn't resist so I took him in without even consenting it with my mother. Every night he would sleep with me and I spoiled him rotten with treats! Anyways, I was coming back from work one evening, (he was about 1 1/2 years old at the time) when I went to the fridge to give him a treat like I always did. Anytime anyone cooks food in the house, no matter what it is, he is at your feet begging like a dog. Well now he doesn't go too near the fridge. Okay, so I opened the fridge with Trouble at my feet when a huge and very heavy clock that sat above the fridge fell, missing me (which I wish would have happened) and hit the cat, which broke its fall and didn't even have a crack in it. Before I even knew where he was hit he took off. After of course searching and calling him for the rest of the night, mom and I decided he would come back on his own. That morning at about 6am, my mom is in my room calmly waking me up with Trouble in her arms ( I think she was trying not to freak me out). My worst fears had come true...he was hit and hit hard. His left paw was a little larger the size of a tennis. It was swollen and obviously broken. So I immediately took him to the vet hospital where I stood histerically crying at the counter begging them to send him to the ER. So later that day as I was forced to go to work (I sobbed for hours) the vet finally calls me with an update. Trouble had to have an extensive surgery that lasted about 3 hours. All of the tendons in his paw were shattered and he had 7 fractures in that foot. The vetalso had to put 5 metel pins in his paw to help the bones grow back together. Anyways, after weekly check ups and about $2000 later, Trouble was back at home and recovering for good. He wore several casts that reached all the way up to his shoulder blades and when he walked he looked like a Nazi salooting Hitler (it was funny but terribly sad to watch). The point of the story is that during his recovery, which was about 6 months, he did not move around much and gained ALOT of weight from me having to nourish him back to health, and feeding him treats all the time because I felt so damn bad about what happened! So now I have this 19lb cat that lays in my bed ALL day like he's king of the castle. He hates to run around, except he has to from our new puppy Bella who is 3x his size now, but I wouldn't have it any other way...he's fat, moody, snores when his sleeps, his belly and butt shakes when he does walk, eats too much, but he's alive and walking on all fours and he's mine...my fat cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment